Controls Systems Engineer
Midwest Engineered Systems Inc. is a premier supplier of high quality, innovative, automation solutions. At MWES, we hire talented, highly skilled personnel who are dedicated to customer satisfaction.
CONTROLS SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Employment Type: Full Time
Required Education/Experience: 3-7 years of Control Systems experience required. Solidworks Electrical experience preferred.
Under supervision of the Control Systems Engineering Manager, the Control Systems Engineer performs electrical design of controls and power distribution writes and tests PLC software, tests control hardware and systems. Demonstrate creativity and ingenuity when applying engineering principals to design custom machining projects involving automation principals. The Control Systems Engineer works as a member of a project team and coordinates work with others, while achieving on-time completion of the project within budgetary constraints.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Plan, write, test and troubleshoot PLC code using company standard methods and conventions.
- Robot programming, safety systems, and interconnect.
- Performs in-house testing on control components and systems. Performs equipment tests at customer site as requested.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to manufacturing staff.
- May act as Lead Controls Systems Engineer as requested by the Engineering Manager
- Provide Project Manager (PM) with timely status reports of assignments.
- Complete all necessary Project Development paperwork and produce meaningful project control documentation.
- Travels as required to complete project tasks.
- Maintains a strong company presence and positive working relationship with customers, subcontractors, vendors and co-workers to accomplish smooth system start-ups. The Automation Controls Engineer position requires a minimum of 3 to 5 (or more) years of Electrical Controls Engineering experience within a machine design or electrical integration environment.
- Experience selecting, programming, and integrating PLCs and HMIs; experience with Siemens or Allen Bradley PLCs required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Technology, Automation Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time; some international travel may be required.
- Program all controls components such as PLC, safety devices, HMI, servo drives, process hardware and robots from power-on to debug, and finally to process fine tuning and validation.
- Ladder logic PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix and RSLogix 5000)
- Safety PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, SmartGuard)
- Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI – AB Panelview, FactoryTalk, LabView, Ignition)
- Field bus Networks (AB DeviceNet, Ethernet IP, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense systems, temperature controllers, DC nutrunner torque controllers, current and power meters, etc)
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of Associates Degree (AS) in Electrical Engineering Technology or four years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Candidate with the following experience are preferred:
- Allen Bradley Controls
- HMI / PLC
- Proficient with AutoCAD Electrical or SolidWorks Electrical
- Robot (ABB, Fanuc, Kuka) Interface helpful
- Mechanically inclined or the ability to understand how machines work is necessary.
This position is located in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Relocation assistance is not offered. Candidates must be located and eligible to work in Waukesha, Wisconsin; this position is not available for remote employment.