Midwest Engineered Systems Inc. built an automated process for material handling of 20 cardboard boxes per minute, for palletizing and stretch wrapping operation. In addition, created an automated guided vehicle to be able to handling 10 palette loads per hour.
After a full evaluation of the project’s challenges and goals, Midwest Engineered Systems provided the customer a complete solution, which included:
- Fanuc Robot: Each robot system includes an R-2000iB Robot with a 165 kg load capacity and 2.655 mm reach, two auxiliary servo motors and drives, material handling package software, and a robot cable solution from 7th axis to end effector
- Dynamic Servo Actuated End Effector: Allows for active adjustment between picks for various box sizes, has an active vacuum control for paired cup sets to allow combinations of box placement, offsets riser for proper end effector elevation, includes valves, sensor connector banks, and flow sensors
- AGV – Autonomous Fork Lift: Provide integration services to design, install and start-up of the single truck system including fork lift, navigation system, vehicle controller, I/O controller, various I/O devices and sensors, , safety sensors and interfaces and, miscellaneous materials necessary to integrate AGV system components.
- Pallet Locator Weldments: Welded and painted pallet locators support the loads, provides clearance for the AGV to index under the loads, primed and painted surface finish.
- Robot Floortrack: Heavy boxed rails transport robot along the conveyors and pallet locations, E-chain Assembly, Machine Tool Grade Guide Way, and Power Train.
- Fourteen Motor Driven Roller Infeed Conveyor: Skewed roller configuration with side pusher assembly for two zone capabilities.
- Fourteen Pneumatic Side Pusher Assemblies: each incoming box conveyor has (2) pushers, one pusher traps the boxes, separating a gap with the boxes to be picked, another side pusher moves the boxes against the side rail for alignment.
- Two MWES Pallet Dispensers: Device provides automatic dispensing of white pallets, and storage capacity is twenty pallets each
- PLC& HMI Touchscreen Display: An Allen Bradley Control Logix processor, an Allen Bradley Panelview 1000+ color display is provided, it displays the cell status, error codes, and manual operations, has I/O debug screen
- Cell Safety Features
Impact to the Customer
- Savings on labor for stacking pallets
- More consistent quality of stacked pallet
- Reduced lost work injuries from lifting of empty pallets
- Improvement to customer operation because of this automation system.